Monday, January 27, 2014

The Yellow Chair

We said good-bye to the yellow glider. We got it when I was pregnant with Grace for her nursery and I remember when it came in the mail and we opened it up. It wasn't the exact yellow I wanted and it had a crack..so never was my favorite chair. Then it went to Ben's nursery where again we sat every night reading a couple stories, singing a song and saying a prayer.

 I started thinking about how we needed to make room in Ben's new big boy bed that would be coming soon. So I started cleaning things out, and decided to sell the yellow glider. well.. it sold in two days. and it didn't really hit me until the night before they were going to come get it that I was sad. I didn't know why. Why was I sad about getting rid of the ugly yellow chair that I never liked? Probably didn't help that Daniel was out of town and I had been dealing with the kids 24/7 all by myself for 12 days..I was sad. The feeling was hard to explain. It was going to be the last night that I was going to be able to hold Ben and have him be my "baby" in my lap, the last night I could have him sit on my lap and read his favorite book, the last night I could sing him a song and steal some extra snuggle time. It was my special time with Ben. It gets very busy with 3 kids, and a lot of days I feel like there isn't enough of me to go around..so bedtime feels like a special time where I get to spend just a little bit of alone time with them and let them know that I love them.

Deep down I am realizing that they are growing up so fast and I wish I could slow down the process!  It it hard to notice how big they are getting when you are busy with daily life. But when you sit down and look back and think about fun memories you are reminded how fast it all goes.

 I texted a few of my friends that night and told them that this silly chair was making me emotional..they said some things that got me thinking...."even though I never liked the chair, didn't mean I didn't have a lot of memories in it"...I had spent almost every night for 5 years sitting in that chair, rocking a baby or reading stories...so yeah, she was right. Another friend said " you still can snuggle with him and read books in his new bed"..yes very true but it's just not the same. I am so excited for Ben to get his new big boy bed, but there is just something about them all snuggled up in your lap and fitting just right. Never thought in a million years that saying goodbye to that chair of all things would have made me so sad. It is seriously making me cry just thinking about it. But it's gone, a nice couple who was expecting was excited about getting a new chair for their nursery. I'm hoping they have as many great memories in it as we did.

I started to think back to all of the silly pictures we had taken in it. Lots of great memories as babies, toddlers and big kids :-)
Molly just turned 2.

Molly just turned 3, Grace had just turned 1.


Grace 1 year old

Grace's nursery

Grace 2, This was Grace's last day in the crib

Ben's nursery


Ben 2 years old, reading books


Ben almost 3/Last night in the chair!


.....ok, you think they will let me have my chair back! :-)




1 comment:

  1. Meredith! Love your blog! We sold our ugly chair when we moved here that I had also sat in for years with my kids! I was so sad about saying goodbye to it, so I got tears in my eyes when I read this! Now someone else can enjoy and start their own memories!

    ReplyDelete